Saturday, April 16, 2016

Great Week

Welcome to another week of my blog! This was a very unique week. I started off by organizing the survey for Thursday. I had to send out a lot of emails and messages organizing a small group to try out virtual reality. I ended up having about 10 people try out virtual reality.

During the survey I had them try out the viewmaster and the Samsung gear vr. For the viewmaster I had them watch this kind of scary video called Sisters. Basically you sit in a room and watch a creepy doll move around in the dark. Some people thought that the video was actually scary; some thought it was boring because it was basically like watching a video. I wanted to display a video for them to try but I wanted something slightly more interactive. Alternatively, maybe a normal video would of ended up better. This was the slightly worse headset out of the two. This left me a bit restricted of what I could do.

Then for the Samsung gear I had the participants play a game called Smash Hit. It was a game more focused on interaction rather than exploring a 360 degree space, unlike Sisters. You move room to room at a fast speed just smashing through glass and blocks by shooting metal balls. It sounds very simplistic, but everyone had a great time.

After that I would ask everyone just a few quick questions. That concluded my survey. It only took about an hour.

I spent the rest of this week writing down everything from the recordings. I am not finished but I should be sometime next week.

Overall I am really pleased with how it went. I nearly did not have access to a samsung s7, which is needed for the gear vr. But thankfully my friends dad was able to lend me his.

That is all for this week. Only two more weeks! I am very excited to see the conclusion to the senior research projects. Hopefully everyone has a good weekends!

Griffin

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really cook! I'm happy you got to get responses from people using the product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Griffin. This is pretty cool! It's awesome that you were able to conduct your survey. I'm glad your dad's friend lent his to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool work Griffin! Wish I could've been part of the test subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Griffin nice work man. Also thanks for letting me try out these VR headsets. Hopefully my survey responses were valuable for you.

    ReplyDelete