Friday, March 18, 2016

Back from Spring Break!

Hello everyone I hope everyone had a nice spring break! Despite last week being spring break I still managed to pop into my office once. An employee and two of her daughters tried out VR. I used this opportunity to provide them with some questions that would help further my research. These questions were not exactly the same as the questions I was planning on asking my participants for my survey; however, hopefully I can find a use for them. Unexpectedly, she had two more of her children come in and try VR this week. But I could not make it.

Thankfully yesterday I communicated with both her sons about their opinion of VR over Skype. They used the same art program as her two daughters that came a week earlier and I asked them the same questions. Today I finished up listening to their recordings and writing up what they told me.

The only difference really between them and what I am planning to do with a survey group is the number of VR headsets they used. Because these 4 people came in at their own leisure they only tried out one headset, the HTC Vive. The only discrepancy between the two groups would be this, these four not having a reference between other VR headsets, because they only used one. That is why I aimed their questions more towards whether or not VR is even worth it. Alternatively, the other group would answer if it is worth it, which tier of headset should I invest in.

I am making decent progress now that I have 4 consumer's opinions and 4 developer's opinions. But I still am looking for a way to get more opinions for VR. I am still heavily considering the survey, and next week is when I will decide what I am going to do next.

Above is some of my own work, just some stuff that I have been working on for the last few weeks. The sprites(artwork) is not mine, but open to the public; however, the animation and coding/blueprinting I did myself. It may not look like much, and there is a little more than you haven't seen, but this took a while to complete.

I know I have been throwing around the term blueprinting often and here is what it actually looks like:


Other than that I hope everyone's abstracts turned out well; and I hope everyone has a great week back from spring break. Until next week!

Griffin 

8 comments:

  1. Wow - this looks like a A LOT of work! Nice job!

    Did the children have any interesting or unexpected ideas about VR that you plan to now incorporate into your survey? Always helpful to have a practice run! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had some interesting ideas about VR, but I am not sure it is anything I would use.

      Delete
  2. Hey Griffin! Sounds like an awesome week! I was just wondering, how do your survey responses differ between the developers and consumers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well developers obviously know a lot more about VR, so they had more to say from a technical standpoint. While the four consumers I talked to seemed to be emphasizing the creativity of VR when I spoke to them.

      Delete
  3. Hey Griffin! Your work seems incredible! There must have been a lot of work put into that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blueprints seem very interesting! I never realized that's how games are built up. What will be the deciding factor whether or not you use a survey or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only how Unreal Engine "codes". There is plenty of other game engines: Unity, Source, CryEngine, etc. All of them are unique in their own way. Basically if the company will trust me with their equipment.

      Delete